Search Here

Custom Search

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Generating Excel using POI in Java

May be you know excel files can be generated from Java by using an API POI.
( to know about POI visit http://poi.apache.org/ )

When I was using POI to generate excel file I saw a little problem after opening the generated excel file. Suppose I have to display the following text in a cell.

User name: John
Title : Programmer

You see there is a line break between the two lines. That means you have to write “\n” in the code. But when I opened the generated excel I found the two lines were displayed in a single line and there is a garbage box like [] in place of the new line.

But I expected two lines . So what the mistake I did? Can you guess?

Oh shit! I didn’t set the WrapText property of the cellStyle of the Cell.

So, keep in mind to write this

style.setWrapText(true);
(if the name of the cellStyle of the cell is ’style’.) if your text contains multiple lines.

One more point I observed this problem in MS Office , not in Linux’s Open Office. :-)

No comments: